Thursday, August 2, 2012

Oylmpic Water Polo

I've been really excite to watch some high quality water polo on TV. The olympics is the only time, every four years, where I get to see the world's best play in HD. My problem is that I don't have a TV. So I've been eating a lot of lunches at a bar that is showing the games. They're live around 2:30 most of the time, and the broadcasts are really cool. The other problem is that I am always sitting alone, making a lot of noise, surrounded by people who don't know a thing about water polo. They don't really play it that much in New England, in fact, every member of the US Water Polo team is from California. So I have to explain to everyone around me what is actually happening. And their questions are what you expect from someone who has never seen water polo. Most of the time I have to convince them that they cannot, in fact, touch the bottom, that they do have to swim the whole time, and yes, those silly caps are completely necessary. Once they get the basics they usually come around and start enjoying the games with me. Then when they see the size and athleticism of the players (both the men and women) they realize that it's an incredibly difficult sport and the athletes deserve a lot of respect. So I am sort of advocating for water polo on the east coast. That said, I am excited to see Cal men's water polo team play in the Princeton Invitational this fall. I think most good California high school teams could beat the college varsities around here, so it should be a lot of fun. Also a shout out the former Golden Bears on the US Water Polo teams and the rest of the olympic teams. I hear Cal athletes are leading the Pac-12 in medals. So Go Bears to that!

4 comments:

  1. Could be worse. The games aren't live on the west coast so I'm stuck watching on my computer, at work. You think it is weird making noise while sitting at a bar alone watching water polo, think about me trying not to yell at the computer screen and giving fist pumps. That Monday game against Hungary is really going to drop my productivity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you also find it hard not to yell "Go Bears" during games? It's such a habit for me, especially for teams with former Bears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, especially when Mann draws a kick out. Do you still have a difficult time rooting for Azevedo? I thought it was quite a dick move by him at the end of the Romania game when he got red carded. In positive news NBC has decided to show the east coast day time feed on the west coast without tape delay on weekends. On weekdays I'm at work so I don't care that they have to show the Today show in the morning instead of live Olympic programming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still think he's a jerk, but he's our jerk now.

    ReplyDelete